Who is an altar server
An altar server is a lay assistant to a member of the clergy during a Christian liturgy. An altar server attends to supporting tasks at the altar such as fetching and carrying, ringing the altar bell, among other things.
Duties at Mass.
- You must not leave the sanctuary after the start of the Mass for any reason except bathroom emergencies, illness, or when directed to do so by the deacon or priest. There are no other exceptions. If you think that there is another good reason, ask the priest or deacon before leaving the sanctuary. Thirst is never a good reason.
- You must perform the duties assigned during the Mass in the prescribed orderly manner. Never trade positions with other servers without the permission of the server director, priest or deacon.
- You are to maintain a prayerful posture during at all times in the Sacristy. See the posture requirements at end of this manual
- You are expected to stay for at least ten minutes after the Mass to return the Sanctuary, Sacristy, and preparation areas to a neat and orderly appearance.
- Washing priest’s hands
- Ringing the alter bell
To form an active group of altar servers who offer a committed service to the lord at the Altar.
1. Partcipating in programs of spiritual growth (retreats, adoration,
confession, rosary, inspiring movies).
2. Organizing an ongoing formation through seminars and weekly meetings, which make us understand deeply our role in the church.
3. Frequent training and practice that help us improve our service at argumentative essay conclusion example the altar during the liturgy.
4. Enrolling more new young members (boys/girls)
5. Assisting the Christians at large to preparing themselves spiritually for the Eucharist celebration by organizing morning prayers/rosary before
ALTAR SERVER RULES
- Attend Altar Sever Training Classes
- Altar Servers should not leave the sanctuary after the start of Mass for any reason except bathroom emergencies, illness, or when directed to do so by the priest.
- Serve at every mass that you scheduled for, or make arrangements to have someone cover the mass
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before the Mass starts to get dressed and make sure that the Altar is prepared
- Make sure the candles are lit, bread, wine, water, towels, bowl, prayer book, and any other sacramentals are in their proper place
- Perform the duties assigned during the mass in the prescribed orderly manner
- Maintain a prayerful posture during all times in the Sacristy (if you are not doing something your hands should be folded in your lap)
- After the mass, return to the Sanctuary, Sacristy, and preparation areas to ensure that everything is set up for the next mass
- Be quiet and respectful when on the Altar, you are role models
- Be attentive and respond immediately when the priest asks for help
- Make sure that your alb and cincture are returned the way you found them
- PAY ATTENTION